Thursday, September 9, 2010

KCAI ANIM: Metamorphosis

Metamorphosis Project from Ann Mendenhall on Vimeo.


I struggled with the animation when dealing with the “moving through space” portion, mostly because 1) it felt very prescribed, as I failed to do enough to personalize it and 2) environments are a weakness of mine. Once I’d made it through the first part, however, the more experimental steps proved to be a lot of fun. Since I love characters, I found myself pretty stuck on the fish, trying to see what were the best ways to make him move and what sorts of things I could make him do before running out of time and notecards. I ended up regretting my decision to incorporate so much dark area into the last frame of the original flipbook, since as a result, I had to deal with it extensively to create a smooth(ish) transition away from the fish’s antics and into my apartment’s hallway; graphite is smeared all over my kitchen table and lightbox, now. There are some obvious mistakes, but I’m still happy with the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment